Californians know that the time to fix our state’s economy is now. People from every region are standing up and demanding change. We must create real and intelligent remedies that will attract capital, generate jobs and encourage sustainable communities all over California.
On May 11, 2012, the California Stewardship Network, an alliance promoting economic vitality and California Forward, a bipartisan good government reform effort to improve performance and democracy, hosted the first California Economic Summit: Thriving Regions Lead to a Thriving State.
The Summit connected regional and state leaders to develop a shared agenda to generate jobs and improve regional competitiveness. Leading up to the exciting Summit event, regional forums were held around the state to identify economic opportunities and set priorities for state and regional action. The Summit brought together state, regional and community champions to collaborate and adopt initatives for fueling job creation and creating a stronger economy.
A round of regional economic forums were held this spring to kick this year's efforts off and provide valuable input for the Second Annual California Economic Summit, which took place in Los Angeles on November 7-8, 2013.
California’s economy, like the state itself, is diverse and dynamic. The regions in this state have different economic "drivers." Recognizing all those different elements is critical to developing sensible regional economic development strategies that benefit the overall California economy.
Working at a regional scale in a coordinated approach allows us to leverage our unique assets, sync up various efforts and shared goals, and maximize public and private talent to pursue and achieve a revitalized California.
It’s up to all of us to restart California’s economic engine.
Where do we start? It's all right here:
- Get to know it: Find more info on The Summit page.
- See it in action: Read the 2013 Summit Playbook for specific, common sense steps we can take now to help the California economy. Watch for the Summit Action Teams' successes on our Progress Tracker page.
- Explore it: Dig into the background behind the Summit on our Resources page.
- Read it: Follow our Blog, Facebook Page and Twitter account to keep up with Summit news and economic dispatches from around the state.
- Talk about it: Find Regional Forums taking place around the state.
Photo credit: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers